Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Plattekill Mountain via Harold Roberts Road(Plattekill State Forest-Catskills)

Ventured out into the western Catskills to explore the woods and ski slopes surrounding the Plattekill Ski Area in Roxbury on a cool fall day.  I have explored this area before but never from the State Forest access area off of Harold Roberts Road, so decided to check it out.  There is a small, grassy-and muddy-parking area that sits just off the road, so that is where I got started(Elevation 2075 feet).


A very good woods road, known as the Plattekill Turnpike, heads east, ascending steadily up the slopes of South Plattekill Mountain and passing by handsome old stone walls.

The Turnpike climbs up the steep slopes of the mountain, utilizing switchbacks to ease the way, before leveling off at around 3000, and turning north into a saddle between summits.

Just a few feet off the Turnpike I spotted this balancing rock, seemingly defying gravity.

After following the Turnpike for nearly 3 miles, I began a short but steep bushwhack up to the Ski Area.

After a little huffing and puffing I hit a good woods road, which was part of the Plattekill Ski Area.

Followed the woods road a short distance north, soon emerging at the first of several spectacular view points at the top of the ski runs. This is the view north, from well over 3200 feet.

My favorite view of the day, looking northeast up Meeker Hollow.  The skies cleared just enough to allow some of the colors to pop.

With ferns ablaze, the view north towards Meeker Hollow Peak was hard to beat.

A nearly vertical view down to Plattekill Ski Base.

A look north towards the top of one of the other ski slopes.  I didn't go any further than this, having already gotten such amazing views.

Retraced my steps back from the Ski Area to the State Forest, and eventually the Turnpike once again.  For variety, I bushwhacked steeply down through DEP land and caught some, nice foliage framed peek a boo views over to North Plattekill's summit, where I had just been.

Once down low, I easily made my way back onto the Turnpike and back to the car.  Just a few yards away from the trailhead, across the road from my car, I found this really nice view on DEP land towards Round Top-another Catskill Hundred Highest peak-that sits just to the west.

 

Covered a little over 7 miles total with about 1700 feet of ascent  Felt great getting out on this wonderful fall day.  

The drive home along Harold Roberts Road was quite satisfying as well, with this lovely farm sitting at the base of Burnt Hill's long ridge.




No comments:

Post a Comment