Search This Blog

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Wilson Powell Wildlife Sanctuary

Picture perfect Columbus Day weekend weather was setting up so I knew no matter where I went, there would be plenty of company.  I tried to find a low key local hike that would steer clear of the crowds.  The Wilson Powell Wildlife Sanctuary is a quiet, out of the way preserve located in Old Chatham, NY.  Unfortunately when I pulled into the small parking lot, it was nearly full with four cars already there.  I headed out and really enjoyed the beautiful mid 60's sunny fall air.
There are several trails and loops totaling nearly 4 miles that work their way through the woods.  This sanctuary is actually owned by the Allen Devoe Bird Club and protected by the Columbia Land Conservancy. As always, they do an outstanding job maintaining the property.
A small rest area with a couple of benches to sit and absorb the forest around you.
 Stone walls can be found throughout the sanctuary.
 The highlight of the sanctuary is an overlook area called "Dorson's Rock".  From the lookout you can see the tops of trees in the woods below and out further lies much of the valley and surrounding countryside.
If you look closely near the horizon, the Albany skyline can be seen rising in the far off distance.
After lingering on Dorson's Rock for a while, I headed back down to the woods and eventually worked my way over to a large pond area, well reputed as a good birding and wildlife area.
 A big difference from when I came here back in mid August and the pond was almost completely dry.
I walked nearly all of the 3.9 miles of trails with only a few short ups and downs along the way.  As I headed out, the lot had actually filled up even more with several people lingering in the parking lot.
Stopped by my grandmother's house afterward and took a short walk there as well, soaking up the fall weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment