Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Cat Mountain and West Ledges(Cat and Thomas Mountains Preserve-Adirondacks)

I will preface today's trip report by first saying that I have always noticed-and wanted to explore- an open area of rock ledges high above the east side of the Northway just south of Exit 24.  When I dug a little deeper into these ledges I realized that they sit just west of the saddle between Cat and Thomas Mountains and are squarely on public land, meaning I could give it a go.  It has been several years since I last hit Cat Mountain, so I was really looking forward to revisiting it.  Parked at the trailhead along Edgecomb Pond Road(Elevation 1070 feet) and was a bit shocked to only find one other car there when I arrived.  

From the parking area, I headed west along the south shore of Edgecomb Pond on a wide, easy to follow road.  There are many opportunities to get down to the water's edge, with pleasant views to the ridge NW above the pond.  There are two options to climb Cat Mountain, but I took the red blazed trail for the ascent.

The red trail heads west/ southwest, steadily climbing up to Cat Mountain's 1946 foot summit, where the views are spectacular.  SE views take in a large chunk of southern Lake George and Trout Lake.  

East views towards the Tongue Range as well as many of the higher peaks east of Lake George.  Edgecomb Pond, where I had started the hike, is visible in the foreground.

SW views into the southern Adirondacks.

After enjoying the summit views-which I had to myself-I dropped down off the summit on the Cat Mountain Blue Trail, heading north towards Thomas Mountain.  I soon picked up the yellow blazed Richard Phillips Hayes Trail, where just prior to a steep ascent, I headed west into the woods on a pretty easy, straightforward bushwhack.  I slowly descended, heading towards the ledges overlooking the Northway through very open woods, stumbling across a pretty little vernal pond along the way.

 

Dropping down just below 1400 feet, I emerged at the open ledges that sit directly over the Northway.  They were actually more open than I suspected that they'd be, with solid views.  Crane Mountain was easily distinguishable as the high point on the west horizon.

To the SW, I-87 can be seen snaking its way far below.
NW views.

Between the west ledges and the marked trail there are a maze of old logging roads that meander throughout the woods.

Back on the trail, I enjoyed similar west facing views, but from a much higher vantage point.

Heading back down on the blue blazed trail, where there was some decent fall color still holding on. 

NW views across a wetland towards Thomas Mountain.


A bit further along, just a few yards off trail, is a very nice view of Cat Mountain looming high above a large beaver pond.

With it still being pretty early, I took my time on the descent, enjoying the remaining foliage in the woods.  The beech, in particular, seemed to really pop here.

Dropping down, the trail soon crosses over, then parallels babbling Finkle Brook, which feeds into Edgcomb Pond.  As expected following the recent rains, the trails were quite wet and muddy.

 

An easy hike back on the trail brought me to my car where-much to my surprise-there were no other cars in the lot!  Let me repeat that...there was nobody else there!  I only saw two other people on the trail all day, which was a shock.  A great day in the woods, but unfortunately did pick up a few ticks along the way once again.  Luckily not as many as my hike in the Catskills a few days ago though.  Hiked 5.8 miles RT, with 1500 feet of combined ascent.

 Map below.  Red X=Trailhead    Black X=West Ledges



2 comments:

  1. I love this hike! The views of Lake George from Cat are in my opinion, the best there are. The views from the "Northway" ledge are pretty cool too. You don't see that perspective of the highway from the Yellow trail overlook. Now I have another good reason to head back up to Cat. I can't believe you had the woods to yourself today. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually agree with you, the views of Lake George from cat are my favorite. It's such an open and broad perspective of the entire south basin of the Lake. The only other view that comes close(to me) is the view from the Pilot Knob ridge on the east side of the lake. The highway overlook is very unique and I would certainly recommend it next time you go!
      ...and to say I was shocked to have such a popular trail to myself would be understatement, but hey, I'm not complaining!!

      Delete