Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Split Rock Mountain(Hammond Pond Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

 Just east of the High Peaks sit an array of small peaks that have much to offer the adventurous explorer.  While few trails go up these mountains(or hills), and most folks fly on by on their way to the High Peaks, sometimes it pays off to check out these lesser known spots.  With only a half day free today, my goal was to do a fairly short bushwhack from Route 9 in New Russia, just south of Split Rock Falls, up to 1959 foot Split Rock Mountain.  I parked on the east side of the road at the unmarked beginning to an old woods road and set out from there.(Elevation 900 feet) I followed the road for a distance, but it seemed to veer too far south, so I left it and began my true bushwhack east.

As I headed east, I soon passed over another(or possibly the same)woods road and then came to what appeared to be an old homestead site, with interesting old artifacts.

Old homesite, complete with a motor oil can someone left behind.
As I continued my ascent east, I began to hit a thick fog and mist, which soon consumed the woods around me.  Luckily the woods were very open and easy to navigate.
I was really hoping the fog would break up as I neared the summit, so I could enjoy some open views.  Unfortunately the weather didn't fully cooperate.

Sitting directly west across the valley of the Boquet River is the Giant Mountain Wilderness, and there are a couple of very good open ledges that provide grand views....grand views that I was unable to enjoy due to the thick fog.
I was hoping and praying that the fog would move along, so I decided to wait it out for a bit, before eventually continuing the 1/10 of a mile from the ledges up to the summit.

As I waited for the fog to clear, I headed over to a more south facing viewpoint where the fog had cleared out a bit, and a nice view had finally opened up.  The view takes in New Pond and the rolling hills south near Exit 30 of the Northway.

Fall foliage and slowly clearing skies made for a very nice vista!

 

With only a half day available I decided not to waste any time and swung around to the more west  facing views again but to no avail. 

On my descent, the fog began to break up just a bit, providing a decent SW view over Route 9.

SW views. 
Unfortunately as I continued my descent, the fog really seemed to be breaking up.  Just my luck, but I had to get back.

Headed back down basically the same way I came up for a total of 4 miles RT, with about 1100 feet of ascent.  I will definitely be back on a clear day to capture the views I missed today!

Map below.  Red X=Parking   Blue X=Ledges




2 comments:

  1. Definitely a wonderful little mountain to bushwhack to. Unfortunately, I believe the state is planning to build a trail up to this spot in the coming years, as well as ski trails throughout the surrounding woods. If you want to go back on a clear day, be sure to do so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh..another marked trail-the words I dread to hear. Although, in all honesty, I'm happy that the general public can enjoy such a beautiful peak, (just as long as it's after my return though-haha). I had heard similar things regarding Iron Mountain(across the valley) several years ago, but not sure where that ended up. With hiking's booming popularity, I guess these types of changes can only be expected.

      Delete