Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2021

Unnamed Ledges South of Blue Mountain(Blue Mountain Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

With a nice day in the forecast I decided to use today as an opportunity to do some leaf peeping where I knew the foliage would be at peak.  Settled on an unnamed set of ledges just off the Northville-Placid Trail near O'Neil Flow off of Route 28 between the hamlets of Blue Mountain Lake and Indian Lake.  These ledges are little known as they sit off trail but are located just south of popular Blue Mountain and its fire tower.  Arrived at the trailhead and there were only two other cars there as I set out north on the NPT.(Elevation 1808 feet).

Early morning fog was burning off as I made my way along the trail, soon crossing over the inlet for O'Neil Flow.

A short distance beyond the crossing, I left the trail and began my bushwhack north through open hardwoods until I hit a wall of cliffs and ledges.  The going was slow and steep through here, but I clawed my way up.  Unfortunately the easiest route up to the cliffs sits on private land where the trail passes through an easement, so you are forced to fight through the cliff bands.  As I made my way up, I began to get some pretty good peek a boo views to the south.

Once up high on the cliffs, I continued west until I hit some wide open ledges with incredible views.
Peak foliage all around!  A spectacular SW view over Lake Durant towards Blue Ridge Mountain(distant right).
South facing views towards the "Little High Peaks" near Indian Lake(Snowy, Buell, Panther, Burgess)
SE views out over nearby O'Neill Flow with the morning fog burning off the distant peaks.

There are a few open ledges with south facing views but a couple really stand out.  As skies continued to clear, the vista only got better.

I explored the numerous ledges, taking in the incredible views and soaking up the perfect fall weather.  Hiking at its best, and sitting this far off trail, I had the place to myself.
One last view out over the Skittles bowl of colors to the SW.

After taking in all the magnificent views, I headed back down SE, very slowly descending back to the trail.  Once on the trail, it was an easy hike back to the car under perfect conditions.

Hiked just under 5 miles RT, with about 1100 feet of combined ascent.   GREAT day in the woods!!  Only saw one other couple on the trail, who seemed to be in just as good a mood as I was.

Map below.  Red X=Parking   Blue circle=Ledges






2 comments:

  1. Miss the Adirondacks already! The leaf colors are fantastic.. hi to all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Adirondacks are always great, but in my opinion, they truly shine in October!

      Delete